Sunday, October 30, 2016

Coaching and Teaching

Are coaching and teaching any different?
There is not much of a difference:
          Teaching and coaching are almost one in the same. The definition of teaching is: to give information about or instruction in a subject or skill. The definition of coaching is: to train or instruct players or a team.
           The key word in both of those definitions is "instruct." In both teaching and coaching, the authority figure's job is to instruct the student or player to make them more knowledgeable on the skill the authority figure wants them to learn. In my case I am both a teacher and a field hockey coach.
           I instruct my players on the basic skills necessary to play field hockey and help them grow and develop as field hockey players. As a teacher, I instruct my students on the skills necessary for them to learn during their time in my classroom (i.e. math, reading, science and social studies). I use different methods in my teaching as well as my coaching.
           I use differentiation in both teaching and coaching to scaffold my players' and students' learning. I split my junior varsity and varsity teams up during practice to go over different skills that they need at different levels of play. I split my students into groups based on ability in math and reading so that I can teach my students more efficiently.
           Reflection is a key component to my teaching and coaching. I keep a notebook for both teaching and coaching to write down things that work and things that do not work. I also use this blog as a reflection tool to write down my thoughts and ideas so that I can remember them down the road to use later.
           Coaching and teaching. They are really not much different. Coaches and teachers use similar methods to instruct their pupils to help them learn and grow. The good ones use their mistakes to make changes for the future and help make the best class/team possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment